There are more than 65 million family caregivers in this country fulfilling a vital role. These individuals work tirelessly to maintain a high level of care for their loved ones. They are most familiar with the recipients’ medicine regimen; they are the most knowledgeable about the treatment; and they understand best the dietary and exercise regimen. This compassionate role can be daunting. Caregivers often put the needs of others ahead of their own which can lead to mental and physical exhaustion. It is often said “you cannot take care of someone if don’t take care of yourself”. When you are a caregiver, where do you go for answers and assistance? The following organizations can be a resource to assist in the caregiver’s well-being.
Chanda’s Caregiver Corner, a new program of the Brigance Brigade Foundation, was created to provide a platform for ALS caregivers to receive support, share their experiences, and hear from other individuals struggling with the same challenges they are from day to day. Through Chanda’s Caregiver Corner’s ongoing programs, campaigns and contests, the Brigance Brigade Foundation’s goal is to touch the lives of ALS caregivers in positive ways in an effort to show them that they are not alone, and that the work they do does not go unnoticed. We seek to improve the quality of life of caregivers through connections, shared experiences, and love.
- Caregiver Welcome Package – Join our community of caregivers and receive a special note and welcome gift from Chanda!
- Birthday E-Greetings – Tell Chanda when your birthday is!
- ChandaGram – Send Chanda your email address and look for quarterly cards of support in your inbox!
- Caregiver Merchandise – As our ranks grow, keep your eyes out for special caregiver merchandise through the Brigance Brigade Foundation online store.
- National Family Caregivers Awareness Month – Each November, in honor of National Family Caregivers Awareness Month, Chanda’s Caregiver Corner will run a special online campaign with selected winners receiving a prize! Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for news and updates!
- Annual BBF 5.7K Championship Run & 1.57 Mile Family Run/Walk – Join us each year at the 5.7K and sport your caregiver merchandise to show the crowd you are part of our proud community!
Chanda’s Caregiver Corner Video Series:
Hear directly from Chanda about her experiences and feelings becoming a caregiver for a person with ALS.
If you have a question for Chanda, or are a caregiver who would like to be notified about caregiver contests and campaigns, please click here to send us your information.