“Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth.” -Lou Gehrig
Monday, July 4, 2016, marks the 77th anniversary of Lou Gehrig’s famous farewell speech at Yankee Stadium. Gehrig, famed for his 2,130 consecutive-games-played streak, retired from baseball at the age of 36 because of his diagnosis with ALS, which was the cause of his death two years later.
On this day, as our nation celebrates our independence, the Brigance Brigade Foundation asks that you take a moment to recognize those in our community slowly losing theirs due to their battle with ALS.
Celebrate with us:
- On Monday, July 4th the Brigances Will Be Honored On Field Prior To The Aberdeen IronBirds’ Game Against The West Virginia Black Bears! O.J. And Chanda Will Throw Out The First Pitch And Fans Can Visit The Organization’s Booth On The Concourse Throughout The Game For Information, Donations And A Chance To Win Prizes! Get your tickets here!
- Follow the July 4th festivities through the Brigance Brigade Foundation’s Facebook, Twitter or Instagram pages! Encourage your friends and family to share their support for the ALS community on social media and tag @BriganceBrigade.
- Watch a great segment by MASN about Lou Gehrig and O.J. Brigance’s story.
- In June, our Co-Founder Chanda Brigance was recognized by the Gridiron Greats as the 2016 Sylvia Mackey Woman of the Year award recipient! Watch her introduction and acceptance speech here.
- May 1 not only marked the start of ALS Awareness Month, but also our third annual 5.7K Championship Run event. Our amazing supporters helped us raise $200,000 for people with ALS! Watch a recap here and leave us a comment letting us know who you would honor.
- Learn more about O.J.’s story from ESPN and the Baltimore Ravens.
- DONATE NOW to make a difference in the lives of people battling ALS! Click here to see the impact your donation will have.
- Check our website for event updates and come see us! (Save the date for O.J.’s birthday celebration! October 21, 2016 at the Hard Rock Cafe Baltimore, more details coming soon!)
- Volunteer with us! The Brigance Brigade Foundation is always looking for enthusiastic volunteers, sign up here.